Pop dance music is a genre of electronic music that is is characterized by its soulless lack of creativity and innovation. It can be of any tempo, but it is typically repetitive and unoriginal, with predictable drops and recycled samples and vocals.
It is formulaic and predictable, with drops that are always in the same place and samples and vocals that are generic. It has too many words. It feels stale and boring to Us.
Pop dance music is based on commercial intent. The producers of pop dance music are more interested in making a hit song than in creating a meaningful musical experience. This makes the music feel soulless and uninspiring.
One of the key elements of a good dance music experience is collective effervescence. Collective effervescence is a term coined by the sociologist Émile Durkheim to describe the feeling of shared excitement and unity that people experience when they are gathered together for a common purpose. It is a key element of many social rituals, including religious ceremonies, sporting events, and concerts.
Dance music is particularly well-suited to creating collective effervescence. When people are dancing together, they are physically and emotionally synchronized. They are also sharing a common experience of joy and release. This shared experience can create a powerful sense of unity and belonging.
Pop dance music often fails to create collective effervescence because it is too repetitive and unoriginal.Pop dance music is often focused on the individual DJ rather than the the people that come to dance.
Pop dance music (EDM) is popular because the crowds and the music promoters don’t have experience with good artists and aren’t exposed to quality dance music
First, it is often the only type of dance music that people are exposed to. Many people do not have the opportunity to experience good dance music because they live in areas where there are no underground clubs or festivals. As a result, they may not even be aware of the existence of better genres of dance music.
Second, music promoters often play it safe by booking artists who are known to play pop dance music and “Business Techno” (external link). This is because pop dance music is popular and is therefore more likely to draw a crowd. However, this also means that people are less likely to be exposed to new and innovative dance music.
Pop dance music is unoriginal and derivative and its popularity is influenced by Instagram and Tiktok algorithms
Pop dance music is often unoriginal and derivative, borrowing heavily from other genres or artists. This is because the goal of pop dance music is to create a hit song, rather than to create a meaningful musical experience.
The popularity of pop dance music is also influenced by Instagram and Tiktok algorithms. These algorithms are designed to show users content that is likely to engage them. As a result, pop dance music promotion, which is often created to take advantage of social media algorithms is often promoted by these algorithms with projected visuals, attractive girls dancing, and cake throwing (to name a few of the marketing strategies). This can lead to a situation where people are only exposed to pop dance music, and are less likely to discover other genres of dance music.
Examples of Pop dance music (EDM) headliners from Ibiza and Tomorrowland
Here are a few examples of headliners from Ibiza and Tomorrowland:
- Ibiza: Calvin Harris, David Guetta, Armin van Buuren, Martin Garrix, Tiësto, Tale of Us
- Tomorrowland: Dimitri Vegas & Like Mike, Hardwell, Marshmello, Steve Aoki, The Chainsmokers
These artists are all known for playing pop dance music, we find them to be pathetic, weak commercial crap pop dance music (EDM). If you are looking for a more authentic and meaningful dance music experience, We encourage you to check out some underground artists and labels.
Here are a few tips on how to find better dance music:
- Avoid mainstream radio and streaming services. These platforms are often biased towards commercial music that is designed to appeal to a mass audience. If you’re looking for something more unique, you’re going to need to look elsewhere.
- Check out underground music blogs and labels. This is where you will find the most innovative and exciting new dance music. There are many great underground labels and blogs out there, so take some time to explore and find ones that you like.
- Attend underground parties and festivals. This is a great way to discover new artists and experience different genres of electronic music. Underground parties and festivals are also a great place to meet other people who are passionate about dance music.
- Don’t be afraid to experiment. There is a lot of great dance music out there, so don’t be afraid to try something new. If you hear a song that you like, do some research on the artist and see what else they have released. You might be surprised at what you find.
- Read our list of Top DJs 2023 – https://peaceofmind.link/top-djs-2023/
Once you’ve found some underground music blogs and labels that you like, start following them on social media and subscribing to their newsletters. This is a great way to stay up-to-date on new releases and upcoming events.
You can also use social media to discover new artists yourself. Follow your favorite underground DJs and producers, and see who they are following and who they are reposting. You’re sure to find some new music that you’ll love.
We don’t want to be gatekeepers
It is important to note that we do not want to be gatekeepers. We are simply trying to explain the good from the bad. There is nothing wrong with enjoying pop dance music, but we believe that there is also a lot of great dance music out there that is more creative and authentic, and that is capable of creating a more powerful and meaningful dance music experience.
But If you are looking for a DJ who will play new and exciting music, then you should look for an underground DJ. If you are looking for a DJ who will play popular and familiar music, then you should look for a pop music DJ (or go to a wedding) 🙂 .